- By submitting this application you are agreeing to these terms and conditions, which form a binding agreement between you and Shorelight, LLC, which operates UIS GLOBAL. If you are submitting this application on behalf of another person, it is your responsibility to ensure that the person applying to GRADUATE DIRECT at UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD is aware of these terms and accepts them, and by submitting the application you are warranting that you have made the applicant aware of these terms and that they have accepted these terms.
Enrollment Contract – Student’s Acceptance of the Offer
UIS GLOBAL ENROLLMENT CONTRACT
- By submitting your deposit you are agreeing to this Enrollment Contract, which forms a binding agreement between you and Shorelight, LLC (Shorelight LLC operates UIS Global and is sometimes referred to herein as “UIS GLOBAL”, “we”, or “us”). We reserve the right to amend this Enrollment Contract from time to time.
- In addition to this Enrollment Contract, as part of your offer you have received other information and documents that contain additional terms of your participation. Please familiarize yourself with all documentation provided to you by UIS GLOBAL.
- Degree Verification and Non-US Institutions. UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD is a U.S. accredited university. You may be required to submit your degree for verification (sometimes called “validation” or “authentication”), either by your employer or your country’s education authority, if you wish to live and work in your home country. It is your responsibility to determine what level of verification is needed and how to obtain it. We do not guarantee that your UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD degree will be verified outside of the U.S. Degree verification does not impact the validity or value of your degree in the U.S. Further, we do not guarantee that credits earned at UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD will be transferrable to systems of higher education outside of the U.S. Whether and how much transfer credit to award is in the discretion of the foreign institution.
Tuition and Fees; Refunds
- Tuition and fees payment: Following payment of the deposit, you must pay the remaining outstanding balance shown on your invoice by the indicated due date. You are responsible for paying the full invoice amount, including any banking or processing fees to UIS GLOBAL. We will also invoice you for additional tuition and fees incurred for credit hours taken in excess of your initial study plan. UIS GLOBAL has the right to amend its prices. Certain courses and programs require additional fees. Such fees may include but are not limited to additional registered course fees, lab fees, and other program-specific fees. You must pay any program-specific fees directly to the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD’s University Bursar. UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD will bill you separately for such fees after the add/drop registration date and UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD payment terms will apply.
- Failure to Pay. Failure to pay by your payment deadline may lead to penalties, including late fees, inability to gain access to housing and use of a meal plan, inability to progress after your first year, and a hold on your account that will prevent you from enrolling in classes. If you are unable to enroll due to nonpayment of tuition and fees you may become in violation of your immigration status, and we will be required to report such violation to the SEVIS database maintained by the Department of Homeland Security; you may lose your immigration status and be deported from the U.S. You may be dismissed from UIS Global for failure to pay your invoice.
- Deposit Refunds. We will only refund your deposit if you provide us with written notification and documentation showing that your visa application has been denied prior to the move-in date. Otherwise, we do not refund deposits.
- Graduate Enrollment Deferrals. Deferrals must be requested no later than 60 days after your original move-in date. You may defer your enrollment for up to one calendar year (i.e., two consecutive semesters, not including summer); however, your deposit will roll-over for one semester only, not including summer (i.e., a Spring deposit will apply for next Fall, but a new deposit is required starting with the following Spring semester). We will not refund your original deposit. After one calendar year, you will be required to re-apply with a new application and deposit.
- Refunds for Cancellation of Enrollment. If you cancel your enrollment prior to your move-in date (found here: https://global.uis.edu/graduate-admissions/), you may request a full refund of fees paid, less housing and any other non-refundable fees. After the start of the semester, you may be eligible for the partial refunds listed in the table below. After the no refund dates listed below, all tuition and fees for the entire duration of your program at UIS GLOBAL are nonrefundable. Tuition refunds for partial terms will be pursuant to the schedule for that semester found here [https://www.uis.edu/registrar/registration].
- Refunds Generally. Except for deposit refund requests, you must submit your refund request for all other amounts during the semester in which you are eligible for such refund. The request form can be found at https://shorelight.widen.net/s/btkqkd7cxp/uis_refund-request-form . All refunds will be issued in U.S. Dollars, minus bank transfer and processing fees, including any fees incurred for a rejected payment, according to the exchange rate in place at the time of the refund. All refunds will be made to eligible parties within 60 days of a written request.
- No Refunds for Immediate Transfer. You will not receive a refund of your deposit or any tuition or fees if you enter the United States on a UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD-issued I-20 and immediately request a transfer of your I-20 to another program, school, college or university.
- UIS GLOBAL Visa-Denial Refund Exceptions- Virtual Start. If you begin your program virtually through UIS GLOBAL, you acknowledge that completing your UIS GLOBAL on-campus will require you to obtain a valid U.S. study visa, and that UIS GLOBAL does not guarantee you will receive your visa. Moreover, you may not know if you are denied a visa until after completing all or a substantial portion of your virtual If you are denied a visa after you have successfully completed the virtual portion of your program, UIS GLOBAL will allow you to defer the start of your next consecutive term up to three semesters (approximately 12 months). If, during the three-semester deferral period, you are denied a U.S. visa two or more times, you may be eligible for a refund of 50% of your tuition paid, subject to meeting the following conditions: (1) you submit documentation to UIS GLOBAL (your visa denial letter and proof of visa appointment) verifying at least two U.S. visa denials prior to the move-in date for your next term of study, and (2) you remain in good standing and achieve a GPA of 3.0 or higher during the virtual portion of your program. No refund is available if you are able to continue in your degree program online.
Accommodations & Services
- Housing Accommodation and Meal Plan. On-campus housing and dining options are available for UIS Global students directly through the University. Information can be found on the University’s Residential Life webpage (linked here) and the Meal Plan webpage (linked here).
- Health Insurance. All international graduate students studying at UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD are required to be covered by health insurance that meets the U.S. Government, Illinois, and local requirements. Not all services are covered, and the student is responsible for any outstanding balances for non-covered services.
- You are required to purchase coverage from a UIS GLOBAL-designated health plan as a condition of enrollment.
- Information about mandatory immunization requirements may be reviewed here: [https://www.uis.edu/healthservices/immunizations/regulations/], and the mandatory immunization forms may be obtained here: [https://global.uis.edu/before-you-start]. You must have completed immunization documentation prior to class registration in order to enroll in any courses. All immunization forms must be translated in English.
- You are fully and solely responsible for the payment of any premiums or other costs associated with maintaining health insurance coverage, and UIS GLOBAL is not responsible for payment of any funds related to a student’s health insurance. Be advised that the cost of health insurance is typically non-refundable, unless permitted by the terms and conditions of a particular plan.
UIS GLOBAL Policies, Procedures and Requirements
- Absences. Failure to meet attendance requirements may lead to penalties, including loss of immigration status and deportation. You will not receive a refund if you lose immigration status due to class absences.
- Medical Withdrawal. If you need to withdraw for medical reasons you must apply for a valid medical withdrawal through the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD’s Office of Records and Registration. We will honor any tuition refunds granted by the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD for a medical withdrawal in conflict with this Enrollment Contract, but please be aware that certain housing and other UIS GLOBAL fees may not be refundable.
- Internships and Externships. If you are accepted into an internship or externship option, such as Career Premium, all opportunities will be awarded by a third-party organization at such organization’s sole discretion.
- Photography, Filming and Sound Recording. UIS GLOBAL or its representatives, affiliates, successors and related companies may arrange to photograph or shoot video footage of students for purposes of advertising, public relations, and/or promotion in any medium throughout the world, including on social media sites and on the internet. If you do not wish to participate you must advise us in writing and state at the time of the photography or video shooting the wish not to participate. By accepting this Enrollment Contract you are indicating your consent to use these photographs or video footage without further consent or notifications unless you follow the above opt-out requirements.
- Force Majeure. UIS GLOBAL will not be liable in cases where UIS GLOBAL is unable to fulfill any services because of fire, natural disaster, disease or pandemic, national emergency, act of government, acts of war or terrorism, failure of suppliers or subcontractors, labor disputes or any other reasons which are beyond UIS GLOBAL’s control.
- Liability. The liability of Shorelight, LLC d/b/a UIS GLOBAL, its parent and their group companies, their directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents and partners with respect to losses arising from negligence (except where such liability cannot be excluded as a matter of law), breach of contract or otherwise will be limited in all circumstances to the full amount paid to UIS GLOBAL, or the relevant group company by the relevant student for the particular program. Such companies and persons will in no circumstances have any liability for indirect or consequential losses or damages. Any dispute, claim or other matter arising will be subject to the jurisdiction and laws of the State of Illinois without regard to the choice of law rules. Any legal suit, action or proceeding seeking to enforce any provision of, or based on any right or issues arising out of or related to this Enrollment Contract, shall be brought exclusively in the United States Court for the Central District of Illinois. By signing these terms and conditions, the student consents to and accepts the jurisdictions of such courts for the purpose of any such action or proceeding and agree to waive any objection to venue being laid therein.
- Legal Compliance. We have a legal obligation to comply with U.S. laws and regulations. We may use certain information you provided to us on your application to ensure our compliance with export and other regulations by screening you against lists prepared by federal government agencies, such as those prepared by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. You hereby consent to the transfer of your personally identifiable information to third-party screening services that we have retained solely to conduct such screenings.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD Policies, Procedures and Requirements
- As a graduate student at UIS GLOBAL, you are also bound by the rules and regulations governing UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD ( “UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD”), as those may be amended from time to time. These rules and regulations may be found here [ https://www.uis.edu/student-affairs/student-handbook ].
- In addition to this Enrollment Contract, as part of your offer you have received other UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD information and documents that contain additional terms of your participation. Please familiarize yourself with all documentation provided to you by University of Illinois Springfield.
- In addition to the health insurance requirements listed in this Enrollment Contract, the terms of your health insurance must meet University of Illinois Springfield requirements. You are fully and solely responsible for the payment of any premiums or other costs associated with maintaining health insurance coverage, and the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD is not responsible for payment of any funds related to your health insurance.
- Vacation, Holidays and Closures. Please familiarize yourself with UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD’S calendar for holidays and vacations. Classes will not be held on designated school vacations and may be cancelled on public holidays. We do not make reimbursements for classes not offered due to planned or unplanned school closures.
- Academic or Conduct Rule and Policy Violations. You are required to adhere to the University of Illinois Springfield’s Academic Integrity Policy which can be found here: [https://www.uis.edu/academicintegrity/policy]. You may be suspended or expelled if you violate any of University of Illinois Springfield’s policies, rules, or regulations, which may result in the revocation of your immigration status. No refunds will be given in cases of suspension or expulsion.
- Academic Performance. Students are accepted to UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD with the strict understanding that adherence to the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD academic standards and progression requirements, which can be found at here [https://catalog.uis.edu/admissions-academic-info-all-students/assessment-info-academicstandards] as may be amended, is mandatory. You will not be allowed to proceed if you do not meet the minimum standards set by UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD. If you are unable to proceed, you may be offered advice on suitable alternatives, including repeating courses or dismissal from UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD. These alternative options may involve additional time and costs, including tuition and other fees which may require presenting additional proof of finances.
- Dismissal. If you are dismissed from UIS GLOBAL or from the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD for any reason you may not reapply to UIS GLOBAL, the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD, your current program, or any other program offered by UIS GLOBAL.
- Force Majeure. University of Illinois Springfieldis not liable in cases where University of Illinois Springfieldis unable to fulfill any services because of fire, natural disaster, disease or pandemic, national emergency, act of government, acts of war or terrorism, failure of suppliers or subcontractors, labor disputes or any other reasons which are beyond University of Illinois Springfield’s control.
- If you enroll at University of Illinois Springfield, you will be required to read and accept the University of Illinois Springfield Registration Agreement that includes Terms and Conditions outlined for each semester. This Registration Agreement shall be controlling with respect to financial transactions between you and University of Illinois Springfield and prevail to the extent of any conflict with this Agreement as to such transactions.
- F-1 Status. In order to maintain proper F-1 visa status, you must comply with all applicable Federal regulations related to study in the U.S., including pursuit of a full course of study. Please review University of Illinois Springfield’s policies on student visa status and immigration. You will be in jeopardy of losing your immigration status if you fail to maintain the necessary academic standing. We will be required to report any violation by you of your F-1 status to the SEVIS database of the DHS. Your personally identifiable information, including course enrollment details and changes, and circumstances of any suspected breach by you of University of Illinois Springfield’s or UIS GLOBAL’s policies may be shared with the DHS, University of Illinois Springfieldand accrediting agencies, designated authorities, your parents, and UIS GLOBAL staff and agents. If you intend to seek permanent resident status at any point during your anticipated tenure at University of Illinois Springfield, you must disclose such intent at the time of application. Please be aware that scheduling and class attendance conflicts that arise from pursuing immigration status changes will not be accommodated and may prevent you from continuing your studies. You may be dismissed if you seek or obtain a change in you permanent residency. No refunds will be given if you must withdraw due to your actual or anticipated change to permanent resident status.
These terms and conditions are between you and Shorelight, LLC. UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD is not a party to this agreement between you and Shorelight, LLC/UIS GLOBAL and no provisions are enforceable against the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois, nor its officers, administrators, employees or agents other than Shorelight, LLC/UIS GLOBAL. UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD may adjust its policies, procedures and agreements at any time.